Old 12-17-19, 09:48 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
I'm working on the Tour of London for the silly reason of gaining the in game jersey... My observation, using the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and iNride power sensor, hills are murderously slow. I'm going to see if turning the trainer difficulty down does anything for that, as it does for the smart trainers... 5 miles, then 2 miles of climbing in Stage 3 took more than 1 hour of the 2 hours 12 minutes and 31 seconds my butt suffered on the seat... Otherwise, I feel my speed in game and real world are pretty close. On the 3% and 4% grades it still sucks, but 5% and above are well out of reality. To me... I'm not a great climber, but I can do better than 3 MPH...
I’m now using my Stages power meter instead of the Snap’s power calculation. And it now feels very much like power feels in the real world. I notice I feel like I’m always needing to be in between gears. I’m going to experiment with the power feel setting to see if I can’t fix that. I’m riding at least two gears higher than I think I’d ride in real life, but then again I’m riding 1 or 2 miles per hour faster than in real life.

It’s fun. It makes me ride harder than in real life because it feels like I’m going so slow. But I couldn’t imagine riding 100 miles on the trainer. That’s a little over 7 hours in real life for me. That would be absolute torture on the trainer.

It will be interesting to see what the shorter but higher intensity trainer rides do to my power in real life.