View Single Post
Old 09-13-10, 10:21 PM
Pelotoner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I am glad you are ok.

California has a statue of limitations for filing claims, I believe it is at least 2 years and might even be 3 years. Take photos of the damage, get your police report, get an estimate of the damages from at least 2 bike shops and get the replacement cost for the damaged items and file the claim. Keep all the damaged items as they may request to see them. If you are not claiming injuries, I can assure you that they will settle your property damage just to get rid of you.

As for everyone who has told you to get an attorney, they will not help you unless you claim to be injured. Most take 33% of your settlement and if it goes to litigation it goes up to 40%. I handled claims for 5 years and can honestly say I never paid 33% to 40% extra so the claimants always got less when they used an attorney. On serious injury claims, they are sometimes needed, but I always enjoyed dealing with attorney on small cases as they had very little interest in pushing hard as it cost them money if the settlement did not come quickly. Time is money to a lawyer and it is just business.

I wish you luck as I have no experience dealing with USPS, but I do know that a property damage claim where there driver accepted fault at the scene and was cited is not a battle they would want to fight.
253AA1A1-DC2A-B03C-11FB-BDA25EC612A5