sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I agree that most of the best rides in the Bay Area are pretty hilly. You just need to train a little and learn to enjoy them. If necessary, get some low gears. Local bike shops probably sell half or more of their road bikes with triple cranksets. With sufficiently low gears, even a heavyweight should be able to make it up Old La Honda Road. If you do that once a week, you won't be a heavyweight for long.

If you really really don't like long climbs, there are some nice rolling rides out along the ocean, especially between Half Moon Bay and Pescadero (Hwy 1, Stage, Verde, Purisima, etc.). There are also some nice flat to rolling rides out in Marin (Headlands, Paradise Loop). The bay side of the peninsula is not very exciting. Same goes for the east bay flatlands.
Yup! I got a triple with a 29t cassette in the back. I need those gears for parts of climbs like page mill, and Montebello.. But I know I would not have been able to climb the long ones without a triple.. being 53 also doesn't help..