Old 05-06-19, 12:29 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Justin Le, who own Grin Ebikes, has numbers that show regen gets you 10% more battery in hill country, He is pretty credible. Last year, he competed in a solar bike race where they started in France, crossed the Alps and coasted downhill to China. Regen sounds good til you realize that's 5 miles if you have a relatively robust 50 mile battery. Then again two miles is worth it if you don't have to pedal a heavy unpowered direct drive motor with its magnets dragging.

Some outfit in Europe, might be academic, has a sleek looking fuel cell prototype on a bike. Needs tanks of O2 and H2.

The long range commuter, and the touring biker will have their concerns about battery life. The guy who rides for fun, like me, can either plan his ride for the battery size or carry a spare.

I think the original poster could discuss what kind of bike he wants to build, and what it will be used for. The type of motor is the first thing to sort out. Motors are not too expensive. Good batteries are the biggest expense. If you do a conversion, you can always use that battery on the next one, and then you can try out different motors w/o spending a lot more money.
I saw an ebike online that was built around a hydrogen fuel cell. It ran off these hydrogen filled ( screw in ) modules that gave the bike great range. I think they are refillable but then you need a supply of hydrogen which need I say is not going to be available in most places. You can buy the modules already filled but no telling how much that would cost. Anyway, the whole system is too expensive for my tastes.

Currently I'm considering converting my FS MTB with an e-kit. I'm leaning toward something where the motor mounts on the crank/bottom bracket. I want the system to operate as e-assist only, no throttle and only want a battery that might last for 25 miles. Any recommendations would be nice.