View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 07:27 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Awesome mitts! If I lived up north I might try the Conti winter (non-studded) tires. Apparently they have microcell compound like car winter tires; that stuff is claimed to work pretty well.
I love those overmitts, have had them forever. They are simply a goretex thin overmitt, used to use them for tobogganing etc in deep snow cuz the high cuffs and tightening cord around ends means no snow up your sleeves. For biking in winter, I can vary what I wear under them, so can have warm hands at -20c when I wear thin gloves under my puffy super warm mitts underneath these overmitts, plus again, high cuffs that go nearly up to elbow may look dumb, but they keep lower arms warm also from cold wind.

those non studded tires look interesting, I saw some in a store, but while Im sure they work well, I do like my mtb tires with large blocks, as I can get good grip on all kinds of snow, and as I ride on sidewalks (deserted) I am going up and over all kinds of snow piles, so I like having confidence in the front end when going over stuff and popping the front wheel over rough stuff.
Plus, I already have the mtb tires, and they work alright, so didnt feel the need to spend the money on winter specific tires--now if I had to ride in the dark a lot, I would go with studded, just cuz its a lot harder to see ice when its darker, with alot more chances of losing the front on ice with non studded.