Old 06-14-19, 11:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Armstrong and his cronies wrecked careers, made threatening phone calls to women, brought legal suits against journalists (complete with perjured testimony); all to screw anybody who dared to speak the truth (even if that person did so because he as called up by a grand jury). You and I would be behind bars for what Armstrong and his cronies did. Very few other riders, teams and support casts did the like. He also had inside help at UCI: telephone calls to announce out-of-competition tests and testing riders threatening Armstrong on GC at the Tour when requested by Postal/Discovery. It wasn't remotely an even playing field.
From a cycling perspective, it is pretty easy to believe he did what everyone else did.
Guess I don't know what career wrecking and threatening calls has to do with cycling anymore than betting on dog fights has to do with football. I have no issue with civil or criminal trials, just that is not cycling.
Weak officials is on the UCI. Just as in soccer a weak ref is on FIFA. Athletes are to win, or actually to entertain in a way their bosses make more money and they get more money.
That is what it has been for 50 years at least and I see no end. I rather dislike it, but the bike part seems more like speeding to me.

The ruin peoples lives/ careers is different, although - Who? Who is ruined and making less money than if Lance had been less of a performer?