View Single Post
Old 03-31-20, 07:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I don't envy you. I also have quite a bit of sympathy for her, especially since some part of her will probably see your point.

We told daughter she was restricted to a day's drive from home and that if she wanted to go anywhere but U of MD it had better be significantly more selective. She took it badly at first, but limited her apps accordingly and ended up out of state.
It's tough. She is VERY 18 and does not understand that good opportunities for her are everywhere, and the cost>>value for NYU. I even told her that in retrospect, I would have done well to have gone to Rutgers (with most of my classmates) rather than Johns Hopkins for undergrad, and that's when the gap between state and private college costs was not so wide. She does not get it.

That said, she is her mother's daughter (very stubborn and determined) so if I had to make a prediction, I expect she will dig in her heels and we will acquiesce, with certain conditions, to let her go there.