View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 01:20 PM
Roadgraveller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
There are no gears that will make a 30% grade "easier." If you're built like a world tour rider, 30% would require +500W to manage 5mph. The rest of us would more than likely have to get off and walk.

I don't know where people live where these insane, virtually impassable grades exist in number. I have one paved road in a 20 mile radius that exceeds 20%, and it's an access road to a reservoir, closed to traffic, reached only by lifting a bike over a fence. It's that steep for about 60 yards.

If you have any questions about more realistic conditions, we may be able to offer some suggestions.
Thanks for the note back - yes I know the hills are surprisingly steep aren't they, they are all paved and used by cars. I live in the hilliest part of England, if you search 'top hill climbs lake district' you'll see the top 8 hills all of which are within 1-15 miles from where I live. I even got it wrong, the steepest is actually 33% not 30. These are the stats for Hardknott pass:Distance: 2.2km
Height gain 298m
Average gradient: 13%
Max gradient: 33%
I hope you can now see the reason behind the question, the hills are monsters around here.

Cheers