Old 06-30-20, 11:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I used to race. Was taught to pedal circles. What a gift! I still do to this day. No, I do not actually lift my upcoming foot of the pedal most of time. but I still can and at times do. Not just climbing. If I don't tighten my toestraps (and yes, I do still use them), I lift my cleated shoe off the pedal regularly.

Now, racing is a little different from just riding around. For one thing, efficiency isn't everything. Crossing the finish line first is and that winner rarely rides the most efficient race. One reason I was taught to "spin circle" was to save the big muscles for when crunch time came in the late miles of the race, but also for the many pack accelerations all through the race. Found it interesting to see a study of the power circles of top level professional racers, American Cat 1/2 racers and strong non-racers, Those top pros had much more uniform power around the pedal circle. (At 300 watts, there's some lifting force happening, Flats don't work. But 300W, while a lot for us, is something the pros can sustain for a long time.)

Now maybe some day there will be "efficiency races" where the win goes to the rider who rode the most efficient race. Interesting concept but I won't watch. "We are awarding this plaque to George Bronkwoski for doing the least work over this 100 mile course."

As you have probably guessed already, I haven't ridden flats in 5 decades. Toeclips were one of my great breakthroughs. Cycling shoes, cleats and pulling the straps tight another. These were up there (or even above) dropped handlebars and sew-up tires in my evolution from newbie to fully conditioned racer.

Edit: My knees insist on no-float pedal systems. With float locked out, clipless pedals and toeclips with straps pulled are identical riding until you come to a stop and have to remember to reach down and release the straps. I use both, toeclips on my fix gears (for the security of being strapped jn even if I unclip spinning crazy RPMs going downhill) and the black LOOK cleats and pedals on my geared bikes.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-30-20 at 11:05 AM.