View Single Post
Old 08-04-20, 02:33 AM
amedias

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
I've used the EL Chinook Pass in 28mm on a couple of bikes, maybe ~15,000km worth and not found anything as nice. I won't go as far as to say they are 'the fastest' but IME they are 'as fast' as other options I've used* but are definitely more comfortable**. They are however very expensive and not what I'd call good value. Generally speaking you're better off with one of the cheaper but equally excellent options like a GP5000 or Corsas etc. They'll be great tyres and 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost. But if you have the spare cash and really do appreciate (or just want) the comfort of the EL casing RH tyres then go for it. Only you can decide where your'line in the sand' is with regards to cost/benefit.

What I've been doing for the last few years on my long-distance bikes with smaller tyres is running a RH EL casing tyre on the front to filter out the buzz and get the most life out of the expensive tyre, and then run something else on the back. In 28mm my favourite pairing has been a GP4000 (now 5000) rear with a Chinook Pass EL front, but I did quite a lot of winter miles using Clement Strada LGG (120TPI) on the rear as well.
On bikes with bigger tyres >32mm I've been happily running RH at both ends as they last a lot longer but at least one is still running a Pasela on the rear from when I trashed a Barlow Pass on a tour a while back, it's a little slower but I'm not racing that bike so who cares ;-)

* for ref, the other tyres in the 25-30mm arena I've put enough km on to evaluate ie: > 5000km
Conti GP4000Sii
Conti GP5000
Panaracer Gravel Kings
Vittoria Corsa
Challenge Paris Roubaix and Strada Bianca
Clement Strada LGG (120TPI version)
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX
Specialized S-Works Turbo

and others I've tried but put < 5000km on

Michelin Pro4
Fairweather For Traveller
Clement Strada LGG (60TPI version)
Specialized S-Works Turbo Cotton
Bontrager R4
Veloflex Master

** I think this is real rather than placebo as every time I jump on a bike with the RH EL casings I get surprised by how smooth and comfy it feels. I do most of my miles on a Ti Audax bike with GP4000s which is a pretty comfy bike by any standard, but it is definitely noticeable when I either use the RH EL shod bike, or bung the RH EL wheels on the same bike. It's no better in terms of big hits/potholes etc. there jsut seems to be a filter on the 'road buzz' even on good roads, and on chipseal and bad roads it's definitely noticeable.

What's really telling is that I find this effect more noticeable on the EL casing Chinooks at 28mm compared to the standard casing 32mm Stampede Passes at a lower pressure so I'm convinced it's the EL casing making the difference.

Last edited by amedias; 08-04-20 at 02:45 AM.
Likes For amedias: