View Single Post
Old 03-28-24, 04:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
The type of chain most reluctant to get caught in those grooves is one withOUT beveled side-plates.
^^This kind of jibes with my own experience trying many (including 9s) chains on my Peugeot PH501.

The Sedisport chain is the correct one and I found none that worked quite as well.

The center-to-center cog spacing of nearly all Helicomatic freewheels is narrow, meaning that the Sedisport chain is also the oldest one to be found that will be narrow enough.

I took one apart and added bevels that mimicked Uniglide cog tooth features, but to little effect.

I ran one indexed on a Suntour Accu-7 equipped Cannondale R300, which did index effectively through six gears, but with too many "false-neutral" events for my liking.

EDIT: I seemed to only encounter slippage when shifting toward larger cogs, never in the other direction, and why I tried adding Uniglide-style "twist" bevels to the tips of the teeth.

A woman rider once almost fell off her bike when she was riding close behind while I suffered gear slippage and lost all drive while shifting for a steepening grade.
After that occurrence, I replaced the Peugeot's rear wheel with a similar but Shimano freewheel-equipped wheel that I had sitting around, and the bike's Huret-controlled shifting is now quite excellent.

Last edited by dddd; 03-28-24 at 05:05 PM.
Likes For dddd: