View Single Post
Old 05-27-17, 07:45 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by eom
They think he is the original owner. The bike is in really good shape. I did not see a blemish. Word is he is going to head out for a tour on it. The mechanic asked if I had any long cage Suntour RD's? Luckily I did.

[IMG]IMG_0730 by lebagman, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's good to be a hoarder.
I don't mean to be rude-

That's the worst possible Suntour derailleur to have.

The enclosed pulley is famous for ingesting dirt, seizing up and throwing the derailleur into the spokes.

From Disraeli Gears:

But this second generation ‘Tech’ design had a fatal flaw. SunTour had decided to improve on the Design of the Le Tech by cunningly fitting the spring that tensions the third pivot inside the guide pulley. This meant that the guide pulley ran on a large diameter centre - and this rapidly attracted dirt. When the dirt got in, the pulley bearing became as rough as a badger’s arse and often jammed. To compound the problem the pulley was exceedingly difficult to remove for cleaning or for replacing. SunTour were inundated with expensive warranty claims, and, worse, lost the reputation for bomb-proof reliability that they had carefully and patiently built up over the decades.

In fact the MounTech had a couple of other flaws. The first was that it was seriously heavy and the second was that, like all three pivot designs, it rapidly went out of alignment and had a tendency to throw itself recklessly into the spokes of the back wheel. Like the Huret Duopar, it was God’s gift to wheel builders everywhere.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.