Old 11-28-18, 01:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
I tried the front fork Bontrager speed sensor approach for a while, but it ended up being more of a hassle for me and seemed very precarious and unstable. The main issue I encountered was that the mount would move inward, due to many reasons (e.g., hitting it while racking the bike) and knock the magnet off the wheel (knock!)...then you have the issue of magnets on the track. This happened several times, so I just went with the Wahoo speed sensor and mounted it on my front wheel axle, because I tend not to change my front wheel in a night. The reason why I went with the fork system to begin with was because I was using a tri-spoke, which is not the case anymore. If I return to a tri-spoke, I suppose I will have to re-think things. I still like the idea of a sensor that mounts in the valve hole.
Regarding the magnets falling off:
I used 3M Outdoor Double-Sided tape. It's about 2mm thick and stiffly gooey like old chewing gum. Willfully removing the magnets takes a lot of effort. I've never had one accidentally pop off, even when the sensor touches it from being too close (click-click-click-click-click-click-click) before I adjust the sensor.

Regarding the sensor moving around:
Yeah, that's the only downside to this method. One does have to be mindful when installing and removing wheels.