Old 05-01-20, 01:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Learn to ride routes in such a way you're not headed home up the last steep hills or into an hour long headwind. I see and hear the complaints, just a matter of a little super basic meteorology, geography, and topology. Not rocket science. The wind where I live is always from the W, either SW, W, or NW. So, I ride clockwise starting between heading SW to due West or NW, then finish by coming south towards the house. Headwind out, with or neutral middle, with or neutral finish.
Sure- standard practice is to ride into the wind and come home with a tailwind. But following your logic would promote cyclists living in low-lying areas, so that they climb on their way out and descend on the way home. So I suppose you suggest that cyclists not live on ridge tops or hilltop villages (not that those are so common in much of the states, but there are plenty in Spain, Italy, etc.)

Where I live, if I want to ride west or south, I have a short block-long 10% ramp just before I get to my house. It's not a big deal, but I confess that there are times when I turn off my Garmin before I take that section.

Last edited by MinnMan; 05-01-20 at 01:52 PM.