Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I don't get all the hate for saddlebags either. I personally need to be able to carry two water bottles, and as I get into summer months where I'll be riding in temperatures over 100 degrees F even that isn't enough. I'll start with an extra water bottle in a jersey pocket, but if I go far enough I just have to have my wallet with me and plan on stopping at a gas station somewhere and refilling them.

The idea of wasting a water bottle mounting point just to avoid using a saddlebag is bonkers where I ride. And I struggle to understand the motivation for it. "It's ugly!" Says who? Is it uglier than having this huge lump on your lower back because you've shoved all the same stuff into a jersey pocket instead? Or have a tool keg mounted to the frame instead of a water bottle? As far as aerodynamics goes I have a hard time believing a tool keg mounted further forward on the frame and at a lower height is more aerodynamic than a reasonable saddle bag, since the saddlebag is in the lee of your thighs, the seatpost, etc. People are gonna do what they're gonna do, but as long as there's a need to be prepared to self-recover during long solo or group rides without external support, the saddlebag is just about the perfect option for putting the necessaries.
I give priority to water in bottle cages, as well. Between, eventually, a regular 800ml bottle and three 1.1 liter bottles (one in the triangle and two attached to the front rack). I am quite happy with having a bag under the seat for tools and tubes. In the pic, below, I am hoping to mount two more Salsa cages in the triangles of the front rack, using p-clamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BikePic28042020b.jpg (22.4 KB, 245 views)
Likes For Digger Goreman: