Old 05-10-20, 05:12 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by eddie_the_K
Interesting - I have fenders but have never slogged through serious mud. Sounds like fun! Maybe I'll try it next weekend when it's supposed to rain *again* but should be kind of warm.

However, on this trip I'll be staying indoors, like a civilized person. I might have to bring the bike in with me to keep it safe and dry. It may be prudent to keep it as clean as I can.

Has anybody ever needed to really clean up a muddy bike while on tour? Do you find a self-serve car wash and carefully hose it down?
If you're planning to bring your bike inside when on tour then you REALLY don''t want to get a heavy build up of mud, especially a clay-based mud, on it.

Clay-based mud is extremely tenacious and it doesn't take a lot of it to stop you as it's also very slippery. Clay-based mud does not even have to be deep to bring you to a standstill. I found that out one day in a local park when I went to take a shortcut through an undeveloped area of it. Withing thirty to fifty feet the wheels had a very heavy build up of a clay-based mud and the wheels kept slipping and the bike came to a stop.

I have ridden a bicycle through much deeper mud that wasn't clay-based and did not have nearly the trouble.

As for cleaning the bike before bringing it inside. Good luck finding a car-wash when you most need one. Getting packed mud off a bike involves a LOT of scrubbing and you need a stiff bristle brush if you don't have a high-pressure hose available.

Speaking of high-pressure water such as a hose at a car wash; be extremely careful not to aim the hose at parts in such a manner that the pressure drives crud in past seals.

Cheers