Old 05-26-20, 10:54 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
People aren't constants. Their interests change, and it's hard to know who's going to end up interested in something they aren't interested in right now. There do appear to be some riders here who race, or raced; there are probably some riders here who eventually will race. Road cycling is a pretty big tent--nonetheless, the majority of road riders don't really want a power meter and of those who do, most have pretty simple needs.

That said, there's a common misconception that only pros need accurate power data. I've had a chance to talk with people from some pretty big pro teams. The irony is that many pro teams actually don't get very high quality data, or don't have time to do much with the data they do get. Sometimes their sponsors dictate what bikes they'll ride, what tires they'll use, what clothes they'll wear, and what power meters they'll use. When Sky/Ineos went to the velodrome for aerotesting, they mounted a different brand of power meter on the bikes even though in races they were sponsored by Stages. Conversely, some amateurs absolutely need high quality data because they don't have all of the support systems that pros have, so they have to rely on the data they collect. It's both kinda impressive and kinda amusing to look at the things that amateurs figured out first that were subsequently adopted by pro teams.
That's not at all surprising to me though. I always figured that pros just rode and amateurs and enthusiasts had more time to tinker.

I mean... I was perfectly content to send my SRM back once a year for them to make sure things were all nice and dandy. I just wish it didn't cost as much as it did back in the day.

In any event. I'm glad you're still here. Looking forward to learning how far things have come in the last, oh I don't know... decade!

As a side note, wasn't the crank based issue only on the newer shimano cranks? I know stages had a helluva time getting things dialed in. A lot of the folks that jumped into the water afterwards had to keep pushing back dates for releases because there was variation between crank arms that they just couldn't account for. AFAIK, folks found it easier to do crank based on carbon cranks.

FWIW, I ended up going with the specialized branded 4iiii left sided PM because things looked decent for my needs in this snapshot in time. Subject to change of course!