Old 05-29-20, 08:42 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Did you stress-relieve the spokes afterward? One of the reasons for giving them all a really good squeeze is to test whether any others were close to snapping.
??? That is not why you stress-relieve a wheel. You stress-relieve to remove the false tension where the spoke has turned when the nipple has turned. You don't squeeze them to find the spokes that are 'about to break'.

OP - I think you're riding on borrowed time. From your last pic it looks like you've dropped the chain between the cassette and the spokes a few times, and you can see it's the outboard spokes on the drive side that are nicked. I'd bet a C-note that the spoke you broke was one of those. I predict another broken spoke if you don't replace those spokes, which are 1/4 of your total spokes on that wheel. Some bikes, when you break a spoke, you get so much rub against the brake pads or even the chainstay that your ride is done. Some wheels you can make it home with a sizable wobble.

It looks like you have a pretty conventional wheel with at least 32 spokes and 3x crossing, so if you break a spoke you can probably limp home.