View Single Post
Old 05-05-18, 03:38 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I switched over from my Garmin Edge 1000 to a Wahoo ELEMNT (same software as the Bolt) two years ago and am happy I did. If I were looking at the Bolt today, I'd also look at the Edge 520 PLUS which is about $20-30 more than the Bolt but is quite capable. The 520+ was just released. Wahoo has pissed off Garmin and woken the giant out of it's sleep. They've positioned the 520 just below the Bolt and the 520+ just above leaving Wahoo no where to go on pricing.

The Wahoo software is way ahead of Garmin in ergonomics and display UI and behind Garmin in navigation. I personally don't need my bike computer to compute new routes from addresses and, in Garmin's case, their ability to enter that data will drive you to the point where you want to throw the unit. Wahoo got around all of that by using the smart phone for the set up interface and took the routing out of the bike computer. Wahoo has seamless integration with router creation websites like the excellent RideWithGPS.com and it syncs seamlessly.

So I'm pretty happy with the choice of Wahoo but I also have been looking at the Hammerhead Karoo which is aimed at the high end (eventually). What I'm really happy to see is that Garmin has to finally innovate and can't rest on their laurels anymore. The price competition is good for everyone.

FWIW, I was looking at market positioning on all the computers the other day and a list of bike computers and their rough positioning.

Bike Computers:
  • Wahoo ELEMNT Mini - $100: Metrics display, high contrast monochrome small display, no navigation, great connectivity.
  • Garmin Edge 120 - $200: Metrics display, relatively simple display, limited navigation capability, download routes, upload data.
  • Garmin Edge 520 - $250: Better and bigger display than 130, metric display, baseman display, low end color display, lots of data fields and sensor support
  • Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt - $250: High contrast larger mono display, button ergonomics, excellent connectivity, Navigation less than Garmin but includes TBT and simplistic baseman. Depends on smart phone for some connectivity and routing interface.
  • Garmin 520+ - $279: Garmin 520 plus "advanced navigation", better connectivity, better battery life.
  • Wahoo ELEMNT - $329: Larger screen than Bolt, same features and operating system.
  • Garmin Edge 820 - $350: Better and larger Color display, better "advanced" navigation, Bluetooth support, better connectivity.
  • Garmin Edge 1030 - $600: Better and larger color display, industry leading navigation capability, all features of connectivity of 820 plus more. Apps and app store, comprehensive power meter support, training plans, etc...

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 05-05-18 at 03:48 PM.