View Single Post
Old 05-06-18, 09:27 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I think Shane Miller does a youtube video of the two side by side (and various other Bolt and Garmin comparisons). At this point, though if I were looking at a 520, I'd skip that and go for the 520 Plus. I'd still prefer the Bolt though.

If you star routes in Strava (or make them favorites or whatever you do there too), they will also automatically sync to the Bolt. Both Strava and RWGPS both sync to the bike computer if you set it up in the smartphone app so that the computer is configured. Note that you only need the smartphone to set it up, from that point on, the bike computer can sync on it's own if it can get on the wifi. Very cool

My wife and I both have Elemnts. I created a RideWithGPS account for her as well as mine. I can then "share with friends" the routes we're going to ride. They then show up in her RWGPS account and when she syncs her Elemnt, they go down automatically. If I change the route in RWGPS, it is then changed automatically on both of our bike computers. Then I just have to tell her which route when we start, and she has all the navigation stuff ready to go. Very cool. You can't do that to my knowledge with any of the Garmin units.

J.
If I were buying another Garmin...I'd get the 520 regular actually. After a year or two the firmware finally settles out and units get stable. Buying a "new" (AKA released same model year) Garmin makes you a beta tester.

Which...well I'm done with Garmins (Edge: 205, 305, 705, 1000 over the years...yup Garmins have eaten a fair chunk of my disposable income). My Edge1000's power button broke on Friday, and a Wahoo Bolt is coming this week to replace it.