View Single Post
Old 09-24-20, 08:49 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
What is the point of the whole 9t and 10t, just to have a wider range and not require a large gear on the cassette to keep the rear der safe? Since a chainring and 11t can get the same high gear I don't understand the desire for the more inefficient tiny cogs.
One of the things that gets ignored with the whole 2x12 is that while the chainrings aren't as optimally located as with a 1x system the drivetrain isn't as noisy when using crossover gears as the older 8,9,10sp systems were. I'm running similar to Davesss set up though not quite the range 48/32 with an 11-34 12 speed but on a cross bike. I went with it since I will use it for some crit riding and hilly road races and shouldn't need to drop out of the large chainring to do so, the gear range is wider then my first 12 speed (2x6) road bike of yesteryear and should be sufficient for current fitness levels. The 32 ring based on previous cross seasons means for cross riding I'll almost never leave the small ring, none of the courses I did in recent memory had long paved flats to need higher gearing. While the 1x13 might give the same range I can run my 2x12 like its 2 separate 1x12 bikes but with more reasonable and optimal gear changes.