View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 11:20 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not sure you're understanding this, not trying to be snarky or mean but you're missing the point on several fronts.
* 9/10t cogs aren't just for increasing range. They're important for increasing gear inches without the need for a larger 1X chainring, which in turn eliminates the need for a giant largest cog to get acceptable low gearing.
Not snarky, it's why I asked if that was the exact reason as a question.

* If you're riding a crit or fast road race with a 48X11 then you are either just out there having fun (totally fine!) or you aren't winning any sprints (also totally fine). But there are PLENTY of others that need a much higher end gear for racing.
I'm no longer winning sprints, a 48/11 at 90rpm is 31mph, my current sprint cadence is closer to 100rpm but only for a quick sprint, my typical cadence is more like 75-80 leaning more towards 75 which does mean I'm not taking downhills like I used to with a 53t but my typical average speed over rolling terrain is still 21-22mph, not slow but not as fast as I used to though getting better again. A 48t has no trouble doing that but lets me run the 48 as a 1x12 for most terrain with road.

* For cx, 1X is great, like you mentioned. And I'd argue the larger jumps between gear changes is preferable. I know I like bigger jumps when I'm on gravel, cause when I need to change a gear I NEED it to make a noticeable difference. It's not like pavement riding where transitions in elevation and surface type are smooth or minimal.
* Now to your point about using one bike for everything. This again is not too bad with 1X13, Campy made it very easy to change the chainring to suit your ride or race. Bigger for road/crit, smaller for CX. Bob's your uncle.

Hope that helps!
I guess to me 1x wastes the potential versatility of a bike. I love my 1x on my mtb but except for pulling a trail-a-bike around the neighborhood at slow speeds it isn't used for anything other than mountain biking and really a modern MTB isn't designed for much more then that anyways. Most other bikes can be used in so many other ways and yet they lose that with a 1x.
On an aside, I saw a patent probably 18-20 years ago by campy for a 13sp drivetrain chain where they envisioned the connecting piece of the chain being a single arched piece of metal that rode over the teeth of the gears