View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 08:12 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The new 1x systems were not designed in a vacuum. They are based on rider desires and what companies are certain will sell. I won't ever buy one because I ride on paved roads. I have no gravel available and wouldn't use it if I did. The primary purpose of 1X is to eliminate the chain drops that occur with 2X system, when ridden on rough terrain. If you don;t have than problem, then there is little point to 1X.

Most people do not ride at a steady cadence. If all I did was ride at a steady cadence from 8-20 mph, I'd be bored to death. I ride in the hills and mountains of northern Colorado. I ride winding mountain descents at speeds up to 54 mph and climb 12% grades as slowly as 5 mph. On the steepest grades my cadence might drop to 65 and on the fastest descents hit 115 rpm before I spin out at 42-44 mph on my way up to 50+. A typical 1X doesn't have quite enough top gear or low gear, compared to my setup that has a 540% range.
Like I said, the specs look great, but when you dive into the gear math, there are problems for some riders, and I don't think gearing is something that a lot of people really think about...they just buy what the guy at the bike shop said was good, or what they see everyone else running.

Are you planning to use this groupset on your road bike for 50+ MPH gravel descents?