Old 05-28-21, 04:16 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I was only able to get the TRPs installed on the rear as, of course, the rear canti post spacing was wide enough to accommodate modern canti and V-brake components. Do they work? VERILY. Do you want essentially hydraulic disc brake lever effort and power? Because that's what you're going to get. Through four feet of cable housing. Unreal. Immense stopping power now, with greatly reduced effort. I can finally lock up the back wheel. When I get the fronts on, this thing is going to STOP. And NOW. I also won't have the honest annoyance of setting cantis up any more. Love the look, love the history, love the tire and fender clearance, but they are fidgety!

The arms splay slightly, even with 77mm spacing (80mm is a general target, but these will need more to be more vertical). I bought new (to me) DT Swiss wheels and their 22.7mm external width (vs 19.7mm of the CXP21s) really splayed the arms. Not a great look.

Red dots are the current canti spacing, and green the "new" spacing at 82mm or so. That centerline will be outboard of the fork blades' centerline, which will be a different look for sure. I think the TRP's beauty will be the equivalent of Obi Wan's "These are not the droids you're looking for" hand wave.

More of the "honest reality" here in bringing "the fight" (of a vintage frameset) to modern bikes. Posts will need to drop a few mm.

Only a little narrow!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: