View Single Post
Old 11-08-20, 07:13 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Nice work up and a fair amount of work..thanks for putting this together. I was a market-logistics-data analyst prior to retiring. Much of my work involved modeling global logistics networks. I've not heard of Flourish, though I've been out of that business for a while now. I used Tableau for most of my visualizations. Modeling was done in software that is a world apart from Tableau/Flourish.

In any event, I like the plots..very interesting and nicely done. I would typically use plots like this to get a feel of what the data was saying and to emphasize specific points in a presentation(the sunburst diagram on market segmentation is nice). My audience (consumers of my work) was generally upper management and C-level folks. While a few (very few) were data-oriented, in general they had little patience for digging into lots of plots to answer questions..that's what they had me for. Often I would prepare one or more user-driven dashboards that was easy to filter down and answer (their) questions. I'd have a graphical workup with a half dozen filters (on/off, sliding scale..etc..) that would quickly narrow things down without them having to think too hard..questions are easy, answers actually require work.

With a couple filters clicked, one could answer a (completely arbitrary, I ride primarily road and mountain bikes) question like, "I want a triple crank, Tiagra components or above, rim brakes, and it has to fit 50mm tires..what bikes should I look at?" Four on/off filters would result in a list of Mfgs and models, along with price..etc..

fwiw..Tableau has "Tableau Public" software that anyone can use free..here's a gallery of all kinds of dashboards:
https://public.tableau.com/en-us/gal...&type=featured

Great work..if I were in the market for a new hybrid, this would be a gold mine of info..