View Single Post
Old 02-14-18, 05:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
For good or bad it is easier to trust friends and family in your own car than people you don't know anything about in a public form of transportation.
Right .... sort of ... My point was, is it Actually safer to drive?

For or instance a lot of people have a deathly fear of flying and would rather drive, but on an harm-per-mile scale driving is about the worst way to get around.

I wonder in the bus system is like that, where people never try it because of fears and prejudices and choose less safe alternatives?

For instance .... I have never had a problem on a city bus in New York or the greater Orlando areas. I didn't even see many scary people. My question then would be ... would Most people actually, in term of numbers be safer on a bus than on foot or in a car .... at those same times of day and on those same routes and destinations?

I don't care if people ride the bus or not. I don't own stock in a bus company. I am just interested in Why people do things, because the biggest problem with improving society is always People. People seem often unwilling to think, and often unwilling to question their beliefs. People often seem willing to deny whatever it is inconvenient to admit.
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Just as an aside, my sister doesn't use the bus today even though she retired as a bus driver. He reason, it doesn't meet her scheduled appointments.
Yeah ... i often had to walk home 2.5 hours after taking a bus to work because of a lousy bus system ... and for one job, the two connecting buses missed each other so I had to sit at the downtown terminal for 45 minutes and still had to walk a mile to work after getting of the connecting bus.

Where I live now I have Never taken the bus. I don't know if it is a good system or not, because I don't need it.

I am not a big bus supporter. I really don't care either way.

There is this though .... most people think of taking the bus as "What poor people do." Except in the Greater NY area where a lot of people take buses or trains ... but more people take trains and cabs i guess ... because even with a good bus system, people prefer to be more comfortable and more coddled. (In DC things are very different too in terms of taking the train .... don't know about buses, but in DC there are all kinds of reasonably well-to-do people on the trains.)

Mostly anywhere the bus system is (at least in my experience) is considered the transport system for "The Other;" the poor, the minorities, the criminals, the Bad people .... in the minds of some residents ... while in fact almost everyone who rides the bus is just another person.

That's why I was interested in the crimes/rider/miles numbers.