View Single Post
Old 10-16-18, 06:18 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I fell off a ladder right before Masters Track Worlds in September 2017, shattering my heal into a half dozen pieces. Surgery, and several months immobile before rehab where I couldn't walk without crutches for 6 weeks. Then I limped. In February I had back surgery that had complications and turned from out patient to 3 days in the hospital and 27 staples in my back. A week later I had four screws taken out of my foot.

Started back training in April with a leg that was mostly bone and skin. By early July I was good enough to grab a silver in the Team Pursuit and take 9th/21 in the 2k pursuit at track nats. That was not easy.

By August I was good enough to podium the points race at States, win the team pursuit, and get silver in the team sprint while being marked enough that my teammate took a lap and won the scratch race. By mid September I was flying, looking forward to rebooting track worlds in two weeks.

Then a mechanical locked up my front brake on my TT bike, sending me over the bars, breaking a rib, spraining both wrists and a shoulder, and some extensive soft tissue damage to my back and chest. I did not race worlds.

And that is my 2018 race story.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 10-17-18 at 11:04 AM.