Old 07-23-19, 10:32 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
What are the chances of that happening? For me, it's close to zero. Throw in Murphy's Law and the chances of getting a flat near a bike shop are negative zero.

Let me just add that I usually have a tube or two with me, but since my typical weekend rides are 50 to 100 miles, the chances of occasionally getting two or more flats on a ride are moderately high (in my experience, flats come in threes). My normal procedure is to use my spare tube and then when I get home patch the punctured tube so that I'll have a spare for the next ride. Rinse, repeat. I usually only get around to ordering new tubes when I order new tires.
Here in Minneapolis were quite fortunate to have so many bike shops. I pass within a few blocks of 7 of them on my 5 mile commute. I agree with you about longer rides though, in which case I employ the same method you do. Bring a new one with me and patch when I get home.