Old 08-16-19, 06:47 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
So I'm interested in the title of this thread. How is this a "Big change for graveling?"

At the risk of an argument about the meaning of the phrase "gravel bike", isn't this just an endurance road bike which can take wide tires?

Seatmastpost and downtube glovebox aside, how is this a "big change" from anything out there? When I think of "big change" for gravel I think of Traildonkey 3.0 and Salsa Cutthroat.

Sincerly asking. Not trying to challenge.

-Tim-

Semantics, maybe. In my opinion, it is a big change for the Domaine, not a huge change for graveling.

Its interesting the way "gravel" changes bikes (mostly in a good way).

There are long, low, slack bikes for people who want their gravel bike to handle like a mountain bike
then there are bikes like the domain, which are what "road" bikes should have been all along - versatile all road bikes. (realistically, we had this in the 70's, but then along came aluminum and carbon fiber...)

I don't know about you, but I have been looking for a road bike for decades. My last road bike was a mid-70's Schwinn 5 speed. The road bike industry was selling us 10 years ago were crap. Tight tolerances, small tires, super stiff. Where I live, I can't ride them on the road without high risk of a flat (or breaking something). Its only recently that the bike industry has given us something that is actually more rideable than a mountain bike on the roads around here.