View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 10:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Cause cars never create traffic jams during rush hour ... except every single day.

When driving my car, I will always change lanes to give a full lane to a rider in the traffic lane. It's never created a traffic jam. This obviously doesn't apply when there's a bike lane or a shoulder for the person on a bike. I understand and acknowledge roads are different throughout the US (& rest of world); in Minnesota, many roads have 3 to 6 foot shoulders and therefore don't require vehicles to change lanes. However, local roads that don't have a shoulder are typically 4-lane roads, making very easy for traffic to change lanes without waiting for a break in on-coming traffic.
Yes, cars cause traffic jams, no, that's not a good reason to make bikes do it for no purpose.

For this law to do more good than harm, it's going to have to have a bunch of exceptions--don't need to if there's a shoulder, if both lanes are congested, in business districts, etc. The real reason for the move-over laws for police was on interstate freeways, this is just a really bad fit in most places where cyclists ride in large numbers.

Sorry, but it's just nutty to invite the political backlash this would cause. Advocates really need to take a hard look at how the politics of things are starting to turn:
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...e-lane/559934/