sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you're a normal person, buy a bag of MSW and use it for 2+ years, when it runs out, buy another bag.

If you're not normal, you can use this:

The Doctor's Own Chain Brew
-6 to 8oz paraffin wax
1 puck of Mr Zogs Sex Wax. (Temp range doesn't seem to matter. I'm currently using cool water blend)
-2floz paraffin oil
-1floz Slick50 Recharged High Mileage Engine Treatment

I average around one month between dips, so ~500 miles per application. The additives make the chain hold on to some road contaminants a little more than straight wax, so running your fingers along the chain comes away with a sorta light-gray smudge, but it's not staining, and it just wipes away. I think it's just dust and general road grime. But far less flaking, and it can stand up to moisture significantly better than straight wax. Bonus, smells of coconuts.

I've been tinkering with the blend since I started doing hot wax (three crockpots in service) and the above-listed blend is what I've been using for the past 6-7 months without changing the recipe. As there's less flaking/dripping, I can go a long time without having to add ingredients to the pot-- one of the pots hasn't been touched in those 6-7 months.
finally somebody thinks I am normal. I have had great success with MSW