Old 11-02-14, 10:50 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
If the body is accelerated, the head goes with it. Usually. Not that it matters, because when the body is accelerated to that degree, it doesn't really matter what the head does, because all the other injuries caused by the acceleration can and will cause death anyway.

Not with the same acceleration.

Think of an extreme example and I'm sure it will become clear. Suppose your body was hit with a baseball bat. Now compare the situation when you're head is hit by the same baseball bat, at the same speed. The way you're reasoning, your head will experience the same acceleration either way, but I'm sure you'll realize that that's not true.

And your evidence for this is? My evidence is the thicket of ghost bikes in my neighborhood - almost all of which represent helmeted cyclists hit by cars.
That's not very good evidence about anything beyond some fatal accidents.

You are putting words into my mouth. I did not claim that helmets are useless among cars. I wrote that "The helmet is less useful in bike-auto collisions because fatal bike-auto collisions usually involve multiple massive injuries."
This would only make sense if all or most bike-auto collisions were fatal, and if the fatalities involving head injuries could not have been prevented by using helmets. Neither of these stipulations look reasonable.