Old 05-18-20, 10:44 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
if I understand what you were saying, no, I think too many ppl have had enough. too many are ditching the safety measures. this is peak party season & once the wretched masses feel unleashed, the smart ones will have to duck & cover again
I am hearing of a theory (from medical personnel, no less) that the initial panic has subsided and people have become desensitized and more complacent. I, too, noticed an uptick in traffic and typical m******* driver behavior. A Friday afternoon's almost idyllic ride through Carlisle and Great Brook was somewhat marred by too many close passes and an incident where I was honked and yelled at by a group of youngish folks while taking a moment to safely pass a family of riders on an otherwise empty road. I guess some people are still in a rush and m*******s will continue to be m*******s, even during these times.
And with today's news, nice weather, and people growing tired of isolation, the times of empty roads are coming to an end.

There's an impressive tribute to the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII at the Carlisle rotary. There's more of these knit flowers on the lawn in front of the Veteran's Memorial, just past the rotary.

Originally Posted by rholland1951
That corresponded with what I saw on Mass. Ave. the other day, but not the scene on the Minuteman in Lexington, where full compliance (mouth+nose) was only around 30-40%. Lexington's different, perhaps.
rod
My daughter asked if we could take a walk to the Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House in Concord (of Little Women fame), but since it was too far, we decided to bike there through the Minuteman instead (the National Park, that is). If you thought the bike path can be a zoo, think again - multiple large groups of scattered kids/adults with restricted sight lines making it even more interesting to guess what's around the corner.

It was glorious with spring blooms! You couldn't go inside of course but it was still great to walk around. There were quite a few visitors in cars.

To avoid the dodging of unmasked crowds on the way back, thanks to very quiet Sunday afternoon roads, we made the executive decision to take the 'adult' route back home, skirting Hanscom. We lingered a little bit at the Rectrix landing field and saw 3 planes land in a short period of time, a small thing perhaps, but everyone thought this was absolutely exciting. We've never seen planes land/take off here before probably because we never stopped here for ourselves. A bit of a lesson there.

The kiddo did really well on the way back and even helped pedal up the notorious Virginia Road hill. We played a game of count the lilacs and all in all she counted 27 bushes. Late Sunday afternoons have been the best time to ride.
Likes For autonomy: