Old 11-11-19, 07:12 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Do all softshells restrict arm motion?

Trying to push my riding season a little further into the cold weather, so I'm shopping for a softshell... at least I think that's what I want. I've taken a few rides wearing my Columbia Pouration rain jacket with layers underneath. It's great at stopping the wind, but it's just not breathable enough. I'm pretty sure a softshell will give me what I want - wind protection and breathability. I don't ride in rain or snow, so I'm not worried about being waterproof.

I've been limited in my local options for trying on softshells: a few North Face and Columbia options at Dick's Sporting Goods, and a Bontrager at an LBS. There are things I like about all of them, but they all have one thing in common that I don't like - they restrict arm motion much more than any other jacket I've worn. Even bumping up to the next size doesn't solve the problem; it just leaves more slack to flap in the wind. I wear a hard shell for skiing (has a hood, so I don't want to bike in it), so I've never really paid any attention to softshells before. I'm wondering if that tightness is just something you have to get used to when wearing a softshell, or are there some brands which are more comfortable in that regard?

I realize that for biking the arm motion wouldn't be a big deal. But one reason I'm considering general-purpose softshells in addition to biking-specific ones is that I could see myself using it for other things, such as skiing or cleaning off the driveway when we have snow. I know there are advantages to biking shells, so I haven't ruled them out altogether. Specifically, I'm considering the Gore C3 Windstopper Classic Thermo Jacket. I just wish there were some place locally I could try one one.

Last edited by AU Tiger; 11-11-19 at 07:33 PM.