Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Still archived here before they moved platforms:
https://www.velonews.com/tag/fast-talk-podcast/

And:
https://www.trainerroad.com/blog/tag/podcast/

Folks should try a lot of those out. Good ideas and talks. Things to think about. To say there isn't science isn't genuine. The science just has to be applied judiciously to your own personal situation. Which is why coaches and nutritionists for elite people is "a thing". And doctors. Not everybody knows your BMI, ftp, insulin sensitivity, aerobic base, fat utilization, amount of glycogen stores, etc............

The short of it for me is that a morning fasted ride is an easier way to do a ride in a glycogen depleted state to cause a dependence on different energy systems for a workout. You don't have to do that. You can also do some VO2 before a long ride. Deplete, then extend. It's just that deplete and extend is much more mentally taxing on people having to do hard work just to have to suffer through another couple hours of well........work.

Not everybody is a bike racer, so for a non-racer I would recommend eating dinner earlier.......not snacking.......then wakeup and ride with H2O. A non bike racer doesn't need to do 30/30's or 3x3's to the point of puking to deplete their glycogen. That's simply unnecessary.

For the bike racer........I'd honestly say I feel deplete and extend is better simply because it mimics racing more.
Difficult questions to answer indeed. I'm 52 years old and though a very trim and muscular 175lbs my routine will differ greatly from what it would have been for my 25 year old self. Just on the simple question of whether or not I want to work out in a fasted state or about an hour after a meal all depends on my goals and if I want to cut fat or build muscle. I'm not saying I have it all figured out, as far as the perfect diet and exercise program, for me but I can tell you that it isn't simple and I don't think any one approach will fit everyone. I cross train with free weights ,and calisthenics, and yoga. I have times when I eat a lot and times when I fast.