Old 11-11-20, 08:05 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
Thomas, thanks for the input. Unfortunately my magnetic trainer is not too smart - it's not completely dumb because I can vary the resistance - but it does not have a power meter. I've been thinking of getting a PM for my Ultegra crank...and maybe this is a good reason to pull the trigger. I'll check out the ZwiftInsider website...that's a good suggestion. So is checking in with the Wheelmen and joining them on local rides. Whether LHV or Warren County I don't think it matters.
I tried using Zwift with a magnetic trainer, and wheel speed and cadence sensors only. But that wasn't enough to enjoy Zwift, for me at least... So last year I bought a used Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer ($90), and added their InRide ANT+/Bluetooth sensor ($50) for power output. I jokingly call it my "Half Smart" trainer. Otherwise my setup is a laptop with Bluetooth, added a ANT+ dongle and a USB extension cord so the dongle sits under the seat on my bike, and also reads my Wahoo Tickr X heart rate monitor. And that got me through last winter. I have a 1998 Cannondale R200 that is permanently on the trainer. I have other road bikes for outdoor use. A 1986 KHS Fiero I updated to Shimano 105 10 speed a few years ago. But also my reward for 140 pounds weight loss, a 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 that is currently running SRAM mixed group 10 speed stuff. And a couple of MTB bikes, mostly vintage bikes, but my 29er is a with drop bars...

Five weeks ago I had m right knee replaced, the trainer is going to be a big help in this recovery. I've added a second laptop power supply to stay with the trainer, and a hardwired network connection at the trainer site. I had a couple issues with wifi last year, wife streaming Netflix bogged my system down during group rides with my local club. Not going to happen this year. I will use my older phone as a sort of permanent Zwift Companion App device, and keep it plugged in. I was hoping for a new tablet for this, easier to see and read. But not in my budget.
Likes For zjrog: