View Single Post
Old 08-09-10, 04:56 PM
Creek Dweller

Bikes: Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had a known Maltodextrin intolerance for many years. It is highly problematic. Don't shoot yourself yet, though I felt like it at first. Do some research. I saw that there are a handful of others who recognize their intolerance as that of maltodextrin. Not surprisingly, there is a spectrum of severity from mild, to those who go to a restaurant and if ingesting maltodextrin, their belly bloats and they have sudden and severe belly pain and diarrhea. I get severe, embarrassing flatulence to a degree that I won't go out in public, and severe diarrhea to such a degree that I have stool leakage. Needless to say I avoid maltodextrin. The bad news, as a pharmacist asked me, "Are you sure? They are adding maltodextrin to EVERYTHING!" Yes, I figured out, they are. But I see your post was written 1/09. You probably know all this by now.

Bad news is that most items are loaded with maltodextrin. Go to your natural foods section. But fresh, natural things. Buy processed foods which are listed as organic (though not an absolute). Avoid regular processed foods. Read your labels. Learn to eat more naturally. I found that most multiple vitamins have maltodextrin added. WHY? Not necessary. (I was told maltodextrin is an extremely cheap corn sweetener.)

I recently started eating probiotic foods. My food intolerances appear to be decreasing. I'm not certain if this is accurate or not, if this is just me or could be true for many. It certainly makes sense biologically and nutritionally.

My doctors play dumb about all this, and my allergists as well, consequently I've not had a doctor give me much information, and they play dumb when I tell them these things. No, I don't like them. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has the luck I'm having with pre- and probiotics. Good luck.

Creek Dweller