View Single Post
Old 08-09-10, 05:06 PM
Creek Dweller

Bikes: Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every once in awhile I read ingredients qualifying the usual- tapioca maltodextrin is one. Corn maltodextrin is the usual and someone tried to tell me I have a corn allergy but that doesn't make sense for me. I think there are other kinds of maltodextrin but I don't know what kinds. If you read information published by nutritionists and the AMA about maltodextrin, they almost always state that maltodextrin is 100% safe and no one can have an allergy, or something like that. The info about and by intolerant people is very sparce. One statement I read is that those who have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) are intolerant. My intolerance developed about 2005 when I was thin and running avidly, 4 miles a day and 100 race miles for the year. Even with cautions, I began to have diarrhea WHILE running, regardless of what I did. Foods for diabetics containing Maltitol (I think it is) cause me such horrible flatulence I could not leave the house, and the warning states "Excessive consumption may have laxitive effect," a small amount did this to me. But other things did too, and so I watched and observed what was doing it to me and suspected Malt. Wasn't Malt, but I did realize it was Maltodextrin. BTW, info for Celiacs states that maltodextrin is safe for those with celiac disease and intolerance.