Pi}{ie
Light-Weight by Design

Bikes: TCR Carbon Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bravo106
I looked into this a few weeks back. Found mostly coeliac / gluten allergy info. From what I've read, the level of intolerance may come about depending on from where the malto is derived. I enjoy reading Hammer Nutrition's articles about fueling and their claimed advantage of malto vs. any of the "ose" sugars. Problem is, my own stomach doesn't agree with their science. I've tried every one of their drink mix products, and for me to even remotely tolerate it, I'd have to mix it in such a diluted form, it doesn't provide enough carbs. OTOH, I've found that I can handle dextrose & sucrose of eLoad very well. I can also handle their gels, which contain malto, but I think theirs is processed differently.

This past Saturday, I used CarboPro, which is a malto-based carb drink mix. Did 62 miles with no problems either during, or in the few hours after (some products have a delayed reaction on me). The only thing with CarboPro is that since it's a pure carb mix, electrolytes have to be supplemented separately (eLoad has a capsule product & I tried Nuun for the 1st time on Saturday).

Here's a link that shows the carb type of various products.

Yeah there is a lot of misconception about the stuff and celiacs. I have celiac, and there are a handful celiacs with this issue is what I'm seeing. Apparently Maltodextrose is fast to break down and is suposed to complete its breakdown in your stomach thus immediatly hitting the blood stream. If you have gastrointestinal leakage like in celiac, or pancreatic issues you're more likely to have issues with maltodextrose is what I'm seeing. I have both so this probably wont be too shocking for my GI, and GP doctors. Its probably leaving my stomach before it digests fully. Then agitating the small inestine due to it not having the enzymes to break it down. I have an appointment next week with the GP.