Old 10-23-18, 05:46 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Generally, when I repack free wheels, I leave them mounted on the bicycle wheel during the process of loosening the cone/lock ring. I only loosen it enough so that I can unassemble it AFTER removing it from the wheel. I favor the modified punch and hammer approach to loosening the ring. Pin tools seem to inevitably slip out of the holes unless clamped down using large fender washers and the wheel's axle. Making a set up to hold the pin tool in place is pretty challenging in its own right, whereas the hammer and punch method is fairly quick and dirty.
Additionally, I use tuna cans, lined with adhesive magnetic sheet ( available from Ace Hardware) to capture all the ball bearings. The can is just the right size to sit under the free wheel as you disassemble it. I have made, some years ago, a special "pawl and spring holder" that lays across the free wheel body keeping the pawls recessed. This home made tool aids in allowing the inner free wheel body to slip into the freshly greased and ball bearing loaded outer body without dislodging any of the bearings. I made this tool/ "pawl retainer" from an aluminum soft drink can.
I do defer , however, to PastorBob in all matters free wheel related; his encyclopedic experience trumps mine. I have, only repacked Maillard/ Atom , the lower end Sun Tour and Shimano , and some 30 years ago, a Regina. Doesn't really stack up to Free wheel Spa.......