View Single Post
Old 07-21-19, 10:54 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I've had really good luck on Craigslist a couple times, my Trek mtn and Fuji roadie came from my local Craigslist, and I've seen a couple that were really yanking my chain, but before I talked myself into taking a swing, someone would snag them..
Obviously you have to have a decent base-level of knowledge when buying used, and examine it closely, but I see lots of solid deals, especially up around Atlanta, all the time. It happens so often it's become a cliche: Folks buy a bike, then barely ride it, then park it in the garage for a couple years, then sell it cheap. Those are obviously the ones you want.
For something that doesn't know much about bikes, then yeah, CL can a disaster waiting to happen, and they should just go to their LBS.
Anyway, for a new commuter-type bike, I'm liking some of the Fujis I'm seeing ( the Fuji Absolute line, IIRC)
I to have had really good luck on Craigslist buying bikes, but I know what I'm buying and yes I have walked away from more than one deal. I look for a bike that's on a top of a hill from some rich person with view properly. They buy a new bike wanting to get in shape then they ride/walk it up once or twice up the hill then sell it. I also will only pay half of what the bike sold for new regardless if it's like new condition.