View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 02:07 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
Yes, if the leaders are considered the main "field". You many not get involved if the leaders are considered "off the front" of the main field. However, it is often not considered good form to use team work and beat up on a single rider in a 10 rider weekday training race unless that single rider is inordinately strong.
This is a question that I have studied pretty intensely. After I was criticized here on the 33 for participating in a bunch sprint when I was a lap done. I mainly do weeknight local crits. They do not pull riders. You can keep going until your heart's content. For example last night, I most have lapped one of the racers 5 times.

As mentioned above, if you are in back of the field (i.e. the largest group of riders), you may not help someone that is lapping you. I.e. you can't fall off the back of the field to help your teammate in the breakaway. If you are left in the race (i.e. not pulled), you are allowed to race. There are no restrictions.

Having said that, if you are lapped, you may get yelled out to go to the back. And other racers may get upset at you. For example, I've seen many times where I'm off the back with a small group. And the breakaway guys come around, and someone in our groupetto jumps onto the break. And other guys yell at them to stop. It's not against the rules to jump onto the break. It would be against the rules to help that break.

It also depends on if people like you are not. I was roundly criticized for getting being the 10th sprinter in a group sprint, being a lap down, on a weeknight B crit. However another person in this forum was a lap down in the state championship crit, fully participated and finished something like 3rd in the sprint, and you didn't hear a peep from a single person in the forum. I'll let you do the math on that one.

As a group of 4 riders in last night's crit, we were the field. The motivation for dropping the rider was two-fold: 1) we wanted to bridge up to the 2 riders ahead, but not bring him with us, and 2) we are fighting for every spot in the standings, because this is a team series race and a jackpot awaits the team that wins, and we are in first. And lastly, it was good practice for us to work together. I had never been in a situation like that. So it made it interesting and fun. And he ended up being the rider that had lapped me, but then I lapped back later. So I passed him in the standings. And plenty of other teams have used the same tactic on us.