Old 08-13-19, 11:21 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So I'm scratching my head over this one...

When my 11speed Shimano cassette is dirty my bike will emit a metallic pinging/clicking noise. It almost sounds like a creaking sound as if the bike is going to explode at any moment. But the noise only happens when the cassette is dirty. Take rear wheel off the bike, scrub the cassette with a degreaser/brush, put the wheel back on the bike and bingo! Sound/noise is gone.

But ride the bike for a bike (120k? 200k? distance varies) and as the cassette gets dirty the noise start up again. I've had the bike in to the LBS and they couldn't figure it out. At first they thought it was a spoke tension issue. It wasn't.

Anyone have any ideas what it may be? I'd like to get the cassette off the free hub and give it a proper cleaning, but I can't get the lock nut off (the subject of another post over here).

Thanks for your time/reading. Cheers.
My initial reaction was it has to be your spoke tension as well. I just had my rear wheel re-trued and tension checked. Two spokes were loose which caused it to ping under my weight from where it is attached to the hub. Does the sound get louder depending on which side of the bike you are leaning on? For example, on mine the pinging would be louder when I leaned to the right.

Since it's not your spokes, maybe it is your hub and the process of degreasing the cassette cures it temporarily until it gets gunked up again? Have you tried a different chain to eliminate a chain issue?

Who put your bike together? that lock ring sounds like it is either fused on there or way overtightened.