Old 09-12-19, 12:35 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Speaking of D-FLY, how do you like the wireless module & its features on your bike's computer / on your smartphone? I'm a little hesitant to buy one with all the mix . I've read that it does not connect properly sometimes (being ''too distant'' from the bike's computer or their cellphones even if it's like 2-3 feet away. One actually installed it close to the battery inside the seat tube and he had issues with the connection). Also, do you have E-TUBE on your smartphone? I've also read threads on forums where owners actually lost their settings when they tried connecting it to install updates / play with the settings. Makes me wonder if it's worth it at all.

I would be ok plugging it in my laptop from time to time, but Shimano does not offer a Mac version of E-TUBE (wtf?).
I've run the gamut of experience with the WU111 unit.

The good
  • On my TCR I had a junction box (JC200) which apparently is just a cable extender that was connected in the cabling near the stem. I simply swapped that with the WU111 and didn't even need extra cabling. Since it's under the stem, it's within six inches of the Roam, so connectivity has never been an issue. It is exposed to the elements though, but Shimano claims it's weather resistant (the placement is officially supported/recommended by Shimano in the dealer's manual, along with being in the downtube near the battery).
  • D-Fly works great with my Roam. The only complaint is the slight delay between button press and effect. Still faster than taking my hands off the bars and clicking on the Roam's button, and it also lets me keep my pace.
The bad
  • iOS apps (and Apple connectivity in general) are terrible. E-Tube and E-Tube ride, both are fails. My iPhone X won't even sense or connect to the WU111. At first I thought maybe it's because I'm a beta tester for iOS and I'm on beta 13.1. But the app itself in the App Store gets 1.5 stars. Apple products in general don't seem to like Bluetooth LE signals. I know the WU111 is broadcasting because, irony of ironies, when I boot up my Mac in Windows 10 mode, it senses all the things my iPhone and Mac OS won't sense: the WU111, my Bontrager RT lights, everything.
Given the Apple ecosystem fail, I'm only going to only use the Shimano Windows PC app for anything mission critical, like major setting changes or firmware updates. Again, ironically, I have that set up on my Windows partition of a Mac laptop.