View Single Post
Old 12-08-20, 08:03 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I started bicycling again about two years. I haven't owned a car since 2005. I mainly get around on my motorscooter. My fantasy was to get a beach cruiser and cruise the neighborhood. I'm a Type 2 diabetic and the pandemic closed down the recreation centers and my Tai Chi & Qigong classes. I ended up getting a used Townie 21D off of craigslist. I really wanted the Townie 7D but the prices were better on the 21D. After riding to the rec center and back and to brewries I decided that I wanted to try commuting. I started one way commute (12 miles) once a week for about a month then catching the bus home. It was scary at first but the more you do it the easier it becomes. I was a sweating pig. The next month, I tried every other day so some weeks 2 times alternating with three times, I did it for a month. Next, I started commuting both ways once a week for about two weeks, then every other day for another two weeks. Finally, I started commuting both ways three to four times a week. My commute to work started out as 1 hour and going home was about 70-80 minutes depending on wind and how I was feeling that day. I started to lose weight.

After about three months, I decided I needed to make my commute times more consistent. I was commuting 45-50 mins going to work, and 70-80 mins going home. I met my first goal of beating public transportation. I decided to look at ebikes. I used to ride mopeds in the late 70s to the early 90s. The thing I liked about cycling was the ability to go anywhere and meet all kinds of people. I think my coworkers thought that I was nuts. I like that I was saving $8 per week on gas, no insurance, enjoying nature. I bought a Rack, Rack Bag, front basket, panniers and cheap cycling gear. Eventually, I started looking for used tops at the local thriftstore during the winter. My first full year was a challenge, getting to know clothing for different temperatures, different routes, snow melt on my route, and slipping on ice. To make my commute times more consistent, I got a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide ie. I sweat less and my commute times both ways were under 55 minutes both ways. I think I lost 30 lbs.

I see the ebike as a tool that increases your joy of riding. My visual for ebikes is PeeWee Herman's big adventure. I used mostly level 2 assist on my ebike. The next winter, I purchased a Blix Aveny because it had lights, fenders, rear rack, disk brakes, and you could purchase a front basket that mounts to the frame of a bike. As of today, I have lost 40 lbs. I want to lose another 70 lbs, I have been using a nutritionist, but learned that when you lose weight your workouts aren't as effective. My short term goal is to lose another 20 lbs so that my BMI gets to 30 or just overweight. My insulin levels went from 300 units on long term insulin per day to 12 units per day. My short term insulin levels went from 80 units/day to 12 units per day. A1c went from 8.5 to 6.5. On the ebike, I observe both Ebike and regular bike riders who pass me when I'm going the speed limit of 15 MPH on the MUP.

I'm really into commuting and bought a JBL Clip 3 speak to play music, listen to sports radio, make calls, and listen to the news. I think bicycles in general are awesome. I like ebikes more, I'm 55 now and have no desire to train for cycling events or killing myself. I am respectful of other cyclist, and pedestrians. I'm also involved with bicycling advocacy in my city to get more bicycle infrastructure and helping others to get started. I'm an ex surfer and living inland now bicycling is my new sport. Our weather here in Denver can go from 90F to snowing in a blink of an eye. I'm getting more courage to commute in the winter, but am still afraid of commuting in the dark heading to work. My first summer, I fell of my ebike and got a concussion, I was out from work for a week. I just went to work and my boss sent me to the hospital and home. This is my second year. I have developed other routes and set my lower temp threshold of 32F, but this year I have commuted in the upper 20s F. My nutritionist is also a cyclist and her lower temperature threshold is 15F. I get advice from her.

I'm looking at getting another mid drive ebike with a belt drive and hub shifting ebike. I'm tired of derailers, chain wear, and cassette wear. I want a bike that is more maintenance free. I guess I expect moped reliability on a ebike. I've been let down by bicycle shops that don't know enought about ebikes and am glad to see powersports companies getting into ebikes. I think Ebikes are between Motorscooters and bicycles, and that ebikes are a different incarnation of mopeds but with a more bicycle centric base. That's my $.005. My goal in 2021 is to get off insulin completely and cure my diabetes. I want no medications.

Ebikes have shown me how great hybrid and electric cars are the future. I have been looking at Electric Motorcycles/Scooters/Mopeds, but they are cost prohibitive. Ebikes allow you to take your battery indoors to charge and store. I live in a Condo and my bicycle stays outside. It's better for me to have a removable battery since it can be 32F < or >90 F on any given season. I was already sold on Electric Cars after I drove Electric Buses for two years. The tuning on the buses are so discreet you can adjust acceleration and top speed digitally. Lately, I've been looking for a used car, but feel that ebikes maybe the solution to financial independence. Thank You

Last edited by alloo; 12-08-20 at 08:09 AM.