Old 07-10-19, 11:10 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I always get to the car in daylight. It's pretty isolated. I don't know if there are any lights.
The shuttle looks lousy to me. Also bring a bike that can get scratched on the ferry. Or rent one on the island. Many, many, rental shops. I always bring a beater bike.
I'm not too afraid of the dark, though I would still prefer not to get back that late. I'm also planning on doing at least 25 miles if not the full 37 to Aquinnah with a bike ferry in Menemsha. Definitely not riding a rental or beater bike for that... I guess if you're doing just the bike trails for 6-10 miles, that's OK.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
love that place. this is me flying a kite on the Cape Poge Elbow

Awesome! Is that your truck or did you there? I was investigating potential 'side-trips' just to have them in the back of my mind for next-next-next time. Def not for this time, not with my wife's 23mm tires

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
re: taking a bike to the Vineyard. several times I've been allowed to park at the lot at the ferry cuz they saw the bike. maybe not all the shuttles have bike racks? I parked way in the back & rode the bike to the ferry. so you can try that first
The first & last time I was there with my wife we took the regular shuttle because we didn't know and the signs said something like "this lot is full, you must park here". The shuttle driver didn't tell us either. On the way back we were told to use the special bike shuttle and they were also surprised that we parked at the shuttle lot. But I can't find any info on the official site about that. All it says is this:

When headed to Martha’s Vineyard, please be advised that parking is not available dockside at our Woods Hole terminal. You will need to park in one of our off-site parking lots located in Falmouth or Cataumet
All shuttle buses have bike racks, capable of accommodating two bikes during daylight hours. A bike shuttle bus is available every day throughout the summer season.

Maybe it warrants a call... also, anyone know if the tickets are tied to a particular location or can I leave from another one, e.g. ferry to Oak Bluffs, return from Vineyard Haven?
So... favorite places to eat? (other than ArtCliff, Net Result, or the 'colored-animal-showing-I've-been-on-the-island' place )

(sorry, this is getting derailed into a Visit Martha's Vineyard thread... just like my planned trip is turning into that)