Old 08-04-19, 06:49 PM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I would think that soaking in dish detergent and water wont hurt it much, but honestly, why? Typically, I go about cleaning cranks and derailleurs by leading off with a deluge of WD40, then a toothbrush-scrubbing, then a blast of air to free it all up and clean it all out. Usually that does it, and its lubricated and corrosion-treated all at the same time. I've been doing this for decades, and never had a problem.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve used WD-40 Bike Degreaser for gears and drivetrains (sprays on as a white foam, then liquefy in a couple minutes running off grease and grime). Works good, but even after scrubbing, black stains on the metal remain. Although they are hidden by the chain, it bothers me.

Originally Posted by dedhed
If you're not using solvents laundry soap would probably work better than dish soap
Thanks for the recommendation. What is the best solvent for bike drivetrains?

Originally Posted by ddeand
Actually, Dawn dish soap does a good job if cutting grease. I use it to clean some parts (cranksets and other one-piece items that get greasy), but on derailleurs, cassettes, etc., I use a solvent. Just rinse and dry the parts thoroughly, then apply a light coat of oil.
Thanks for the description. Which solvent should I use?

Originally Posted by DOS
This was the method recommended to be at UBI bike school for cleaning chains.Dawn and water and chain in 2 liter bottle, shake.

Rinse, let dry, lube.

should work on cranks but I agree that there are other products that would work just as well.
Thanks for sharing; great to hear about a method using Dawn comes from Bike School.

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
My wife is strongly recommending baking soda and vinegar....
Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Dawn dish soap will do, but it will be slow. OMS is good.

Thanks… what is OMS?

Originally Posted by AndrewJB
Just to throw another option in the mix...I have found that most of the "multi-surface" spray bottle kitchen cleaners work quite well on the cassette.
I don't spray the cassette while on the bike, or the on wheel for that matter. I completely remove and disassemble the cassette for "spring cleaning".
OMS is still better if you don't mind a solvent based product.
Thanks for the tip.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by beach_cycle; 08-04-19 at 06:58 PM. Reason: forgot a quote