J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y
FBinNY says that if you clean a chain with water you have to dry it out in a low oven afterwards.
You certainly do not want any water left behind if you want your chain lube to be effective. You can quickly wash out any water with a soak and swish of denatured alcohol. It dries quickly as well.

I know that I'll get some flak for this, but after trying every method of cleaning a chain, there is nothing better or faster-working than a jar of gasoline/petrol. Use gloves and common sense in a well ventilated area. Rinse in a jar of denatured alcohol, and wipe off with a rag. Repeat as necessary until the rag does not become blackened.

I've resorted to this method because of all the fuss and bother I've encountered cleaning chains in the past. I even have an industrial ultrasonic cleaner, and that is not as quick as the jar o' petrol ploy. Oh indeed the ultrasonic will work a treat, but takes quite a while, 30-40 minutes, to get the chain as clean as a five-minute swish in the petrol.

I once gave some thought to building a rotating drum with paddles inside of it. The chains could tumble inside as it rotates, and come clean in whatever solution I used - especially if I included some sort of tumbling media. It would make a fine experiment for a cold winter's day I suppose.