Old 04-19-24, 02:23 PM
sbrudno
Old age cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
No intention of shaming anyone. We all have different preferences. That said, yes I pack very light and watch every ounce of gear includinng bags. I usually focus on gear, bags, and clothing carried so that is the number I mostly worry about.

For fun I might also add on the bike weight to calculate a total weight, but really I obsess much less about the bike. I have toured mostly on older bikes with no intention of spending a bundle on UL stuff there. I have taken some pains to use light rack systems or choose lighter configurations with components that I have on hand, but have never gone to newer lighter bikes for touring. I have tended to look at each tour as a one time thing so spending a bundle on a new bike just never happened. I did spend for a new bike for my daily MTB rides, but an off road tour would likely still be on my old 1990 rigid Cannondale. On road would also likely be a bike from the previous century (all the road bikes I own are). If I were to splurge a nice carbon fiber gravel bike might be the choice, but I don't know that I'd ride it enough to justify the cost.

Food and water... I carry such a varying amount of water that I do not include it. It varies thru the day and also depending on the situation. Most of the time I can get by resupplying during the day. Once in a while I may need to carry a 24 hour supply (that gets used and diminished over that period). I try to buy most of my food daily and late in the day. At times there is a need to carry more. Off-road tours may be a special case, more like backpacking.

Given all that I have carried 14 pounds of gear with a total bike weight of 40 pounds for a coast to coast trip if memory serves on the bike weight. I think my lightest gear weight was 8 pounds. BTW, racks (if any) and a little tool wedge including a few tools and repair stuff I include in bike weight rather than gear weight since the racks are bolted on and the tools since they live on the bike all the time tour or not.

I have always found my choices comfortable enough, but have gone with slightly more weight splurge in my current gear by going with either a larger tarp or a tarp tent style tent rather than the bivy. Not sure which I will use on my next tour. It will be a half pound of extra weight either way and probably a concession to my advanced age (73 in June).
I turned 73 yesterday and today went for a a ride with the new panniers that my wife gave me. I loaded the panniers with about 30 pounds and the usual stuff that ride with me on training rides (no tent or sleeping bag but did add my cook set). The ride was great and I don't ache so I guess the new bags will be a keeper. You are only too old to ride with considered weight if you have a serious disability or are not willing to put yourself to the test. I am right with you there Pete. Keep up the good ride!