Old 08-11-19, 09:17 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
Andrea didn't coin the "analog bike" term - lots of us have been using that nomenclature for years. Probably long before she was old enough to actually throw a leg over an ebike.

Since this study took place in Europe, in countries that have the infrastructure to support a bike culture, and more population that choses to travel by bike to work or for economy sake (gas is very expensive compared to the US, and electric vehicles are still in the early phases of takeover), and distances to places are (or appear to be) shorter - it isn't surprising that ebikes are prolific enough to do a finding on whether people get as much exercise riding an ebike vs an analog.

And, as linberl stated, it comes down to the type of ebike used. One powered by a pedalelec system means the rider has to pedal, and those bikes only give power when they feel human power applied. So there's a straight line correlation: power applied = forward movement on both types of bikes - the only difference is the ebike targets its electric power into "getting there faster". Getting up a hill is the same for both riders - you need to push the pedals and downshift. The ebike will get you up the hill faster, while the analog bike requires a judicious gearing and steady grind. Both riders will sweat, but the ebike rider will sweat less, and thus have more energy to go farther. So we're lead to believe.

On the flip side, the ebike is a heavy beast, and I've had analog bike fly past me with virtually no effort from their riders. I'd have to work harder to keep up with them because of the amount of weight my bike is pushing. And if I run out of battery....

So I guess it all evens out in the wash.

Heading out to ride my bike now...
It all depends on the e-bike. My bike with battery and motor is 23.5 lbs. That's a Bike Friday with a OneMotor kit. The bike is barely 19 lbs when I remove the kit (which I do when I carry the bike up stairs to Bart or to just ride analog). I do think commercial e-bikes will continue to get lighter as time goes on. Either the batteries will drop in weight (thanks to electric car research) or they will go modular. The battery on my system is 2.5 lbs so I can easily carry a couple in my bag to swap out for more range; I don't need a huge battery on the actual bike. I would not be surprised to see e-bikes in the same weight range as analog hybrids as the standard, minimal weight penalty. That's important because I sure as heck would not want to get stuck with one of those behemoth models if I ran out of juice...and have to pedal a 60 lb monster home. Electric cars are getting longer range and e-bikes will get lighter. I'm waiting for the hydrogen fuel cell bikes, lol.